Thanks for stopping by!
My name is Jose Maria, I live in Helsinki and I’m a Data analyst. I love learning, eating and deep conversations.
A few details about me
- Born in northern Spain, later I moved to northern Europe, where I have been living > 5 years in both Estonia and Finland.
- Studied Mechanical engineering, but the frustration of making the same analysis week after week led me to learning R and automatizing processes and got me hooked on analytics.
- I have been heavily involved with Lean manufacturing, the principles amaze me and I try to apply them outside the factory as well.
- Music has been a big part of my life, being part of a band in my teenage years, and later becoming an amateur DJ.
- I love to cook and sharing a good meal with great people around.
Favourite blog posts
Mission and values
From a professional perspective:
- Mission: Automate low-value tasks
- Vision: Better decision making
From a personal perspective, my mission is learning every day, and sharing life with great people.
My main values are honesty, independence, kindness, and simplicity.
I ship a monthly newsletter called Datata, sign up to get a monthly story told with the help of data. (On a long pause, due to being a Dad)
My favorite 12 problems
The 12 favorite problems are a good representation of what do I care about and what is in my mind. Here is my list (in no particular order):
- How can technology assist us for a better future?
- How do I make a positive impact on the world w/o compromising my principles and values?
- How can I assist other people to making better decisions?
- What would it be like if I was to become a great writer/communicator?
- How can I live a balanced healthy life, both mentally and physically?
- How do I strike a balance between achievement, play, social/relationship and personal/spiritual growth?
- Will I ever be completely alright with myself and if not, can I be alright with that?
- What would it be like to be able to shape my habits?
- How can I create periods of sustained focus and deep work where I am less distracted and accomplish meaningful work?
- How can I nurture my friendships and build solid new friendships?
- How do merge the great passions of my life with my talent?
- How can I work in a way that insights passion and sustained energy?
Concept was popularized by Richard Feynman. In his own words:
“You have to keep a dozen of your favorite problems constantly present in your mind, although by and large, they will lay in a dormant state. Every time you hear or read a new trick or a new result, test it against each of your twelve problems to see whether it helps. Every once in a while, there will be a hit, and people will say, ‘How did he do it? He must be a genius!”
- Richard Feynman